- Belong to the insect order Diptera (flies)
- Over 170 species in the U.S. with 3 important genera: Culex, Anopheles, and Aedes
- Undergo complete metamorphosis: egg, larva, pupa, adult
- Require water for eggs, larval and pupal development
- Only the females bite and take blood meals from their hosts, but both will feed on sugar from nectar
- Adults typically live for up to 14 days, but females can over-winter as adults
- Can transmit serious diseases such as: Malaria, Yellow fever, Filariasis, Dengue fever, Encephalitis, West Nile virus, Chikungunya, and Zika virus
Prior to implementing any management strategies, a thorough inspection of the property is needed to identify resting sites, breeding sites, species present and any hazards in the area. Inspections will also help mosquitoes to identify the extent of the problem and areas in need of cultural management and mechanical alteration. When used as a part of a comprehensive plan of attack, Scion ® Insecticide with UVX™ Technology is the ideal choice for mosquito management around homes, schools and commercial buildings. FMC recommends working hand in hand with your customers to develop a complete approach to mosquito management.
Scion Insecticide has shown to be a highly effective barrier treatment for many species of mosquitoes. Scion applied per label directions at a rate of 0.65 fl. oz. per gallon of water will provide up to 75 days of residual control. Do not treat water bodies with Scion Insecticide.